Men’s jewellery is a divisive topic. On the one hand, there are clear questions being raised about the very idea of men’s jewellery. On the other hand, there are more and more men moving towards the idea of making jewellery a part of their outfits; there are even guides popping up. Here at Martin’s of Glasgow, we offer a wide range of services relating to jewellery, including repairs and restringing, so we’ve seen all sorts come through our doors over the years. In this post, we’ll take a look at some of the timeless trends regarding men’s jewellery, as well as a few things to be avoided at all costs.
What Not to Wear
These are the trends that make us cringe; please, exercise discretion!
- It should go without saying, but grills are an absolute no, for men or women.
- A few other pieces are more specifically seen as female-only, such as belly piercings.
- Excessive facial piercing, whilst acceptable and even encouraged in some sub-cultures, will be severely frowned upon in professional settings, and can impede your career.
- There are also several forms of jewellery that, regardless of how we loved them, must be discarded as we grow older. A silver or gold chain, whilst no doubt the height of fashion in our younger days, must be set aside once you reach a reasonable age, or it may start to reek of desperation.
Fortunately, there are a few items of jewellery that will always be acceptable to wear.
- Military jewellery. Dog-tags or medals fall under this category. Wear these pieces with pride, but be aware that medals and ribbons will most likely require formal attire to do them justice.
- Heirloom pieces, i.e. anything you’ve inherited through generations of your family, will always be acceptable, and should be brought out at special occasions.
- Watches are the classic men’s piece. The recent trend towards cheap, plastic watches should be avoided however. Stick to solid metallic hues. Analogue watches are generally preferable to digital.
Wear With Confidence
Rules are made to be broken. If you have the confidence, you can pull off almost any piece of jewellery (but please, no grills). The key is to ensure that each piece fits your natural style. Here at Martin’s of Glasgow, we’re fans of the classic watch as a timeless men’s piece, and we offer services like Omega watch repairs to ensure that nobody has to go without their favourite watch for long. To find out more about the services we offer here, get in touch using the details on our contact page, or call Martin now on 0141 946 6333.